ESOF 2020, the EuroScience Open Forum, will be held in Trieste, Italy, from 2 to 6 September 2020. For young aspiring researchers, including PhD candidates and master students, ESOF is an excellent opportunity to get immersed in Europe’s largest general science conference, learn about new discoveries in a large number of fields, meet Nobel laureates and young researchers across disciplines.
- ESOF enables them to discuss career perspectives and participate in lively science policy debates with major European and national politicians and get an insight into science to business perspectives. Hundreds of journalists and media will cover the event and contribute to the enthusiastic atmosphere.
- ESOF includes a Careers Programme specifically dedicated to the interests and concerns of PhD students, young post-docs and early-career researchers. All the ESOF Programmes (Careers, Scientific, Science-2-Business) are built with a bottom-up approach via an open call for proposals.
- ESOF provides young researchers with a unique opportunity to meet and engage with leading scientists from fields outside their own speciality.
We believe that as many young researchers and students as possible should be able to participate in ESOF2020. We have therefore raised funds to make it possible for some of them to learn from and contribute to the conference.
Travel grant opportunities
Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO)
The Research Foundation - Flanders (FWO) is the agency that supports ground-breaking fundamental and strategic research at the universities of the Flemish Community.
The FWO funds excellent and promising researchers as well as research projects following an inter-university competition. The evaluation is carried out by national and international experts and the selection follows the bottom-up principle and is conducted on an inter-university basis.
The FWO also stimulates international cooperation and encourages international mobility by giving researchers the opportunity to gain experience or work as members of international research groups or by attracting researchers from abroad.
FWO offers the chance to win a travel grant for ESOF2020 for Flemish researchers, with deadline to sign up on April 1st 2020: learn more and apply here.
Host A Doc Initiative
The Rotary Club Trieste, in cooperation with FIT and ESOF2020 will host in its member's homes (room and breakfast provided) a maximum of twenty (20) PhD students, post doc and researchers, under 35 years old, preferably from the Eastern European countries or particularly poor countries. FIT will cover the registration fee for ESOF2020.
Learn more and apply here
Travel grants to proposers or speakers from Central Eastern European countries
ESOF2020 Trieste is committed to strengthening links with Central and Eastern European counties and to building a durable network for a general discussion among science, business, policy and society, as well as for the cooperation in research, innovation, and technology transfer.
The local organizer proudly announces that twenty seven speakers or proposers of outstanding ESOF2020 sessions with strong Central and Eastern European connections were awarded individual travel grants.
-The Central European Initiative (CEI) is a regional intergovernmental forum committed to supporting European integration and sustainable development through cooperation between and among its Member States and with the European Union, international and regional organisations as well as with other public or private institutions and non-governmental organisations. While acting as a platform for political dialogue, the CEI has developed a strong operational, result-oriented approach to regional cooperation.
- The International Centre For Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology(ICGEB) is a unique intergovernmental organisation initially established as a special project of UNIDO. Fully autonomous since 1994, it runs 46 state-of-the-art laboratories, in Trieste, Italy,New Delhi, India and Cape Town, South Africa and forms an interactive network with over 65 Member States. It plays a key role in Biotechnology worldwide for excellence in Research, Training and Technology Transfer to industry to contribute in concrete terms to the achievement of sustainable global development and operates within the United Nations
- Fondazione Internazionale Trieste per il Progresso e la Liberta delle Scienze (FIT) aims at promoting and supporting the development, freedom and diffusion of sciences in their peaceful applications, fostering international networks and initiatives with special attention to Central Eastern European countries and developing and recently developed countries. Through constant work of support and promotion of science diplomacy, FIT has been instrumental in making Trieste one of the places with the highest concentration of scientific institutions of excellence in Europe, and a key centre for scientific cooperation with developing and recently developed countries. FIT is also the host organization for ESOF2020 Trieste.
Assigned Travel Grants
Western Balkans Steering Platform on Research and Innovation
The European Commission DG Research and Innovation - through its International Service Facility scheme supporting the Western Balkans Steering Platform on Research and Innovation provides travel grants for Western Balkan speakers for the sessions:
- Advancing R&I ecosystems in the Western Balkans with regard to their ERA integration, within the SCIENCE to BUSINESS programme, and
- Networking Western Balkans R&I community towards success, within the CAREER programme.
The goals of these sessions are to strengthen the visibility of regional science communities, highlighting their potential, and to disseminate their achievements while encouraging networking and the exchange of best practices.
- Yang Du, Leibniz Institute of Photonic Technology, Germany
- Ibon Santiago, Technical University of Munich, Germany
- Silvio Fuchs, University of Jena, Germany
- Juan Manuel Carmona Loaiza, Forschungszentrum Jülich, Germany
- Antonella Succurro, University of Bonn, Germany
The University of Zurich in collaboration with EuroScience have opened a call for funding to cover young researchers’ cost of travel, registration, and accommodation to attend ESOF2020 in Trieste, Italy.
NEW Deadline : 7 December 2019, 23:59 CET
Who can apply?
- PhD candidates and early postdocs currently enrolled at the University of Zurich
- proficient in English
- under the age of 35
- Postdocs need to have completed their dissertation within the last two years.
How to apply?
The Swedish Research Council-Vetenskapsrådet is funding travel of five young researchers based in Sweden:
- Oksana Goroshchuk, Pediatric Leukemia, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
- Vladislav Maraev, Computational Linguistics, Gothenburg University, Sweden
- Monika Motlochova, Chemistry, Lund University, Sweden
- Yildiz Kelametoglu, Medicine – Health, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
- Constance Boissin, Public Health Sciences, Karolinska Institutet, Sweden
FNR is providing grants to eight young researchers from Luxembourg or funded by the FNR abroad. **
- Anjali Sharma, University of Luxembourg
- Iryna Kyzyma, Luxembourg Institute of Socio-Economic Research
- Kim Greis, Free University of Berlin’ and the ‘Fritz Haber Institute of the Max Planck Society
- Ahilan Manisekaran, Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
- Hameeda Jagalur Basheer, Luxembourg Institute of Science and Technology
**We have listed only those names who have agreed to be published.
CFD is organising two Science Mini-Buses which will bring students from Germany and Poland. **
- Szymon Bakalarski, Polish Philology, First Semester, University of Bielsko-Biala, Poland
- Katarzyna Bem-Kukulska, Ecological Activist, Club of Catholic Intelligentsia, Poland
- Tobiasz Gabryś, Material Engineering, Master Degree, University of Bielsko-Biala, Poland
- Laurin Ernst, Catholic Theology, Fourth Semester , Eberhard-Karls-University of Tübingen, Germany
- Tomasz Kukulski, Material Engineering, Master Degree, University of Bielsko-Biala, Poland
- Karolina Pajak, Material Engineering, Engineer Degree, University of Bielsko-Biala, Poland
- Grzegorz Pyclik, Material Engineering, Engineer Degree, University of Bielko-Biala, Poland
- Husseim Stuck, Human Geography, Third Semester, Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany
- Elham Zamani, Biological Sciences, First Semester, Goethe-University of Frankfurt a.M., Germany
**We have listed only those names who have agreed to be published.